Nasreddin was a poor man, so he tried to grow __1__ he could in his own garden, so that he would not have to buy so many in the market.
One evening he heard a noise in his garden and looked out of the window. A white ox had got into the garden and __2__ his vegetables. Nasreddin at once took his stick, ran out and chased the ox, but he was too old to catch it. When he got back to his garden, he found that the ox had ruined most of his precious vegetables.
__3__, while he __4__ in the street near his house, he saw a cart with two white oxen which looked very much like the one that __5__ his vegetables. He was carrying his stick with him, __6__ he at once began to beat the two oxen with it. As neither of them looked more like the ox that had eaten his vegetables than the other, he beat both of them equally hard.
The owner of the ox and cart was drinking coffee in a __7__ coffee-house. When he saw __8__ Nasreddin was doing __9__ his animals, he ran out and shouted, “What are you doing? What have those poor animals done to you for you to beat them like that?”
“You keep out this!” Nasreddin shouted back, “This is a matter between me and one of these two oxen. He knows very well __10__ I am beating him!”
1. A. so many vegetables B. many vegetables C. as many as vegetables D. as many vegetables as
2. A. was eating B. ate C. had eaten D. has eaten
3. A. Next day B. Next morning C. Last morning D. The next morning
4. A. walks B. waked C. was walking D. walking
5. A. ruined B. had eaten C. ate D. had ruin
6. A. so B. and C. but D. or
7. A. beside B. nearby C. near D. near by
8. A. that B. which C. why D. what
9. A. for B. to C. with D. on
10.A. reason B. when C. why D. because
Tom grows the nicest vegetables and fruits and the most beautiful flowers in the village. Plants grow in Tom's garden all through the __1__ and they are much __2__.
Tom cuts some flowers for his sitting room table, eats some fruits and vegetables, but he __3__ most of them in the market. His vegetables, fruit and flowers are so __4__ and beautiful that they sold much more __5__ in the market than those of other villagers.
How does Tom grow these beautiful things? He is so __6__ that he just sits under his orange tree with his radio.
He __7__ the music all day.
That is quite true. Tom __8__ things in spring, summer, autumn and winter. After that he sits with his radio. And everything __9__. It is the music that does the work. Tom knows more clearly that music makes the biggest vegetables and the most beautiful flowers. Plants love __10__ as much as people.
1. A. week B. month C. season D. year
2. A. better B. worse C. less D. later
3. A. buys B. sells C. borrows D. lends
4. A. dear B. bad C. big D. small
5. A. politely B. quickly C. slowly D. carefully
6. A. angry B. busy C. tired D. lazy
7. A. listens to B. hears C. watches D. speaks
8. A. fills B. plants C. throws D. makes
9. A. does B. moves C. grows D. plays
10.A. work B. rain C. stories D. music
Mr. Green was ill and went to the hospital. A doctor __1__ and said, “Well, Mr. Green, you are going to __2__ some injections, and you'll feel much better. A nurse will come __3__ give you the first one this evening, and then you'll __4__ get another one tomorrow evening.” __5__ a young nurse came to Mr. Green's bed and said to him, “I am going to give you your __6__ injection now, Mr. Green. Where do you want it?”
The old man was __7__. He looked at the nurse for a __8__, then he said, “__9__ has ever let me choose that before. Are you really going to let me choose now?”
“Yes, Mr. Green,” the nurse answered. She was in a hurry. “Where do you want it?”
“Well, then,” the old man answered __10__ “I want it in your left arm, please.”
1. A. looked for him B. looked him over
C. looked after him D. looked him up
2. A. get B. give C. make D. hold
3. A. so B. but C. or D. and
4. A. must B. can C. had better D. have to
5. A. In the morning B. In the afternoon
C. In the end D. In the evening
6. A. first B. one C. two D. second
7. A. confident B. surprised C. full D. hungry
8. A. hour B. minutes C. year D. moment
9. A. Somebody B. Anybody C. Nobody D. people
10. A. with a smile B. in time C. in surprise D. with tears in his eyes